We made it! It is officially draft day and I am so ready to see how this all shakes out. Mock drafts for the MLB Draft are a real pain because one pick can destroy your mock, and teams can go so many different ways because of signability etc. I have gathered a lot of information over the past few weeks and this is my final stab at a mock draft for you. Please follow me on Twitter @PSLToFlushing as I will be updating with rumors etc throughout the day.
1. Houston Astros – RHP Mark Appel – Stanford – Appel seemed to be off the Astros radar for a while with the focus being on Oklahoma’s Jonathan Gray and North Carolina’s Colin Moran. I am led to believe Houston/Appel feel they have a figure that they are willing to do and he will be the pick.
2. Chicago Cubs – RHP Jonathan Gray – Oklahoma – I have heard some late buzz that the Cubs very well may take San Diego third baseman Kris Bryant, but the overwhelming opinion is they will take whichever pitcher Houston doesn’t. If Houston goes Moran then Cubs probably take Appel.
3. Colorado Rockies – 3B Kris Bryant – San Diego – I have received word that Colorado has an agreement with Appel’s reps that if he makes it to #3 they will take him and give him a ~$7M bonus. If not Appel or Gray I think the pick is locked in to be Bryant.
4. Minnesota Twins – RHP Kohl Stewart – St Pius X HS (TX) – Everyone thinks this is what the Twins will do. There still is lingering buzz about a below slot “reach” on high school catcher Reese McGuire. I can’t fathom the Twins passing on Stewart but stranger things have happened. I am sticking with it though.
5. Cleveland Indians – 3B Colin Moran – North Carolina – If he doesn’t go to Houston at #1 he will very likely go here. Moran won’t go 2,3 or 4.
6. Miami Marlins – RHP Braden Shipley – Nevada – Everything suggests the Marlins will be going cheap with this selection, though they had Austin Meadows in for a workout and he reportedly was great at it. Consensus is this pick is down to Shipley or New Mexico 3B DJ Peterson
7. Boston Red Sox – OF Clint Frazier – Loganville HS (GA) – If you ask 10 people if Boston prefers Clint Frazier or Meadows you may get it split 5 and 5. I think they’d take Kohl Stewart if he made it here though.
8. Kansas City Royals – LHP Trey Ball – New Castle HS (IND) – There is a lot of buzz around Phil Bickford being the pick. Trey Ball just simply has more upside for me. Unless Bickford is taking a dirt cheap deal I think they go Ball here.
9. Pittsburgh Pirates – C Reese McGuire – Kentwood HS (WA) – I think this pick will come down to McGuire, DJ Peterson or Ball. This is the pick they got for failing to sign Appel last year.
10. Toronto Blue Jays – OF Austin Meadows – Grayson HS (GA) – At this point I think the Jays pick will come down to Meadows or Ball. The Jays tend to really value upside and you can make the argument that Meadows has the best upside in the draft.
11. New York Mets – 3B DJ Peterson – New Mexico – Mets would love more than anything for Meadows to be sitting there to be picked. I labeled it a coin flip a couple days ago, now I think it’s at best 30%. Hunter Renfroe is really in play here as Mets scouting director Tommy Tanous has spent a rather large amount of time watching him this spring.
12. Seattle Mariners – RHP Ryne Stanek – Arkansas – Mariners likely picking between Stanek or Renfroe. When it’s a bat vs an arm I tend to believe teams goes arm.
13. San Diego Padres –RHP Phil Bickford – Oaks Christian HS (CA) – Padres could go Renfroe but Bickford is mighty appealing at this spot.
14. Pittsburgh Pirates – OF Hunter Renfroe – Mississippi State – Pirates make out with two nice bats. This is the only spot I even could consider putting Sean Manaea.
15. Arizona Diamondbacks – LHP Ian Clarkin – Madison HS (CA) – One of my personal favorites. I love the fastball/curve combo he has. Arizona adds yet another huge upside arm to their system.
16. Philadelphia Phillies – 1B Dominic Smith – Serra HS (CA)
17. Chicago White Sox – RHP Alex Gonzalez – Oral Roberts
18. Los Angeles Dodgers – C Nick Ciuffo – Lexington HS (SC)
19. St Louis Cardinals – SS J.P. Crawford – Lakewood HS (CA)
20. Detroit Tigers – RHP Hunter Harvey – Bandys HS (NC)
21. Tampa Bay Rays – OF Aaron Judge – Fresno State
22. Baltimore Orioles – OF Austin Wilson – Stanford
23. Texas Rangers – SS Tim Anderson – East Central CC
24. Oakland Athletics – RHP Chris Anderson – Jacksonville
25. San Francisco Giants – LHP Matt Krook – St Ignatius Prep (CA)
26. New York Yankees – OF Billy McKinney – Plano HS (TX)
27. Cincinnati Reds – 3B Eric Jagielo – Notre Dame
28. St Louis Cardinals – RHP Marco Gonzales – Gonzaga
29. Tampa Bay Rays – OF Phillip Ervin – Samford
30. Texas Rangers – LHP Hunter Green – Warren East HS (KY)
31. Atlanta Braves – OF Josh Hart – Parkview HS (GA)
32. New York Yankees – LHP Rob Kaminsky – St Joseph HS (NJ)
33. New York Yankees – C Jon Denney – Yukon HS (OK)