I know the idea of trading David Wright is sensitive for a lot of people (myself included) but the proposed trade makes a ton of sense and Peter Bourjos is being highly underrated by many. He’s 24 years old and already is one of the best CF in baseball defensively. In his first full season he put up 26 doubles, 11 triples and 12 homers with 22 steals. He’s stolen as many as 50 bases in a season in the minors and has plus speed so those 22 steals figure to rise. He is not a FA until 2016. I have to believe if we had a rookie come up and put together that offensive season with an ELITE defensive glove he would be 1000% untouchable to most Mets fans.
Tyler Chatwood is 21 years old and while he didn’t have a great rookie season by any stretch he is unusually young for a 2nd year starting pitcher in the majors and has been insanely rushed with 68 innings at AA at 20 and 21 at AAA at 21. He has a plus FB (93 mph this year on average in the bigs) that can touch 95 (legit, not fake college scouting reports) and a plus curve. He’s said to be a real competitive kid and his stuff even plays up due to this. He has a strong GB rate as well. I’ve seen him compared to Tim Hudson and came into the year the #76 best prospect in baseball. Jon Niese, Chatwood, Matt Harvey, Jeurys Familia, Jenrry Mejia and Zack Wheeler would give the Mets 6 young impressive arms. The Mets could opt to trade 1 or more and would likely have the “ammo” to land almost any major player in baseball should they become available (Felix Hernandez anyone?)
I’m not big on Garrett Richards. Throws hard but I don’t think we need another backend guy. I’d obviously TRY for Jean Segura though that’s likely totally unrealistic. Maybe they get ballsy and take back Bedrosian despite the TJ in June based on upside? Maybe there is another name they like. I just think all things considered this would be a fantastic trade for a rebuilding team. The other name Sherman mentioned (John Hellweg) is a 6’9 monster with a plus FB (95-98) with incredible sink (he’s allowed 5 homers in 185 career innings) and had a 2.12 era as a stater this year with an insane 5.0 GO/AO ratio aka he is a ground ball machine that also gets strikeouts (113 in 89 innings this year)- here is video of Hellweg pitching http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hTYGdUA4ROQ
1. I think it’s more likely Murphy can play 3b at an average MLB level then he can play 2b.
2. Bourjos likely helps “hide” Duda so if Duda hits his defensive deficiencies will be less of an issue.
3. The Mets save about 15 million (which HOPEFULLY would be put towards keeping Reyes but more realistically could be put towards other areas… I’m going to pretend the Wilpon’s pocketing it isn’t an option)
4. The Mets would add a pretty intriguing starting pitcher to the rotation for 2012. It’s possible they would sent Chatwood to AAA to open the year but if not he’d certainly be intriguing to watch.
5. I think Bourjos is going to end up a lesser man’s Jose Reyes offensively Bourjos in his first full season age 24- 271/327/438-.765 vs. Jose Reyes age 24-280/354/421-775. Now clearly Reyes is the better player (he had 78 steals that year). But I suspect Bourjos would be come a similar fan favorite both in terms of amazing plays in CF but also his ability to hit it in the gap and run as well as show some pop.